International Symposium on Food Safety and Quality: Applications of Nuclear and Related Techniques (CN-222)
IAEA Headquarters, Vienna, Austria, 10 – 13 November 2014
We are happy to report that the above symposium will take place at the IAEA Headquarters in Vienna, Austria from 10 – 13 November 2014. The formal announcement, call for papers, participation form, grant application form and more detailed information on the symposium are now available at the following dedicated web-link, which will be up-dated regularly: http://www-pub.iaea.org/iaeameetings/46092/Food-Safety-and-Quality
The symposium will include a wide range of topics involving nuclear techniques in food and agriculture; not only food irradiation but also analytical technologies for food authentication, traceability and contaminant control. Related issues such as climate change, emerging opportunities and threats to the integrity of the food supply and potential control techniques will be covered, as will issues such as chemometrics and guidelines for consumer protection and international trade.
The symposium will:
- Bring together experts in the field to present contemporary and novel applications, identify gaps and discuss future perspectives and opportunities;
- Provide a forum for interdisciplinary networking between professionals from different backgrounds, including industry, national institutes, academia, and public and private bodies;
- Facilitate a broad understanding of the topics involved; and
- Promote peaceful applications of nuclear technologies.
We extend our warm invitation to scientists, laboratory analysts, policymakers, regulators, food producers and others concerned with food safety and quality as well as with the integrity of the food supply chain, who are all welcomed to participate in the symposium.
Facilities will be available for commercial vendors’ displays/exhibits during the symposium and interested parties should register their interest by sending an email to the following:
FAO/IAEA Workshop on “Application of Quality Assurance and Control in Analytical Laboratories to Address Food Safety and Quality”
The Food and Environmental Protection Programme of the Joint FAO/IAEA Division will hold a workshop on “Application of Quality Assurance and Control in Analytical Laboratories to Address Food Safety and Quality” to be held at the IAEA’s Headquarters in Vienna and at the Food and Environmental Protection Laboratory in Seibersdorf, Austria, from 10 to 21 November 2014.
The workshop will focus on food safety and quality and include protection of the integrity of the food supply chain as a holistic process, involving multiple stakeholders and requiring the application and integration of different analytical methods and technologies. It will bring together experts in these fields to present contemporary applications and discuss future perspectives and opportunities, and to provide a forum for interdisciplinary networking between all stakeholders in the farm to fork food chain. Demonstration of instrumental techniques and lab QA/QC will be provided at the laboratory premises. The workshop is open to analysts from Member Countries of FAO and IAEA officially nominated by their governments. Limited funds are available to support the participation of analysts from least developed countries. Requests to benefit from this support should be made by the respective governments. Countries who participate in IAEA Technical Cooperation Projects are encouraged to apply for assistance through the Technical Cooperation Fellowship Programme.
A selection procedure will take place in the last week of August and successful participants will be immediately contacted thereafter.
Information is available at the following links:
- Note Verbale
- Prospectus & Questionnaire for nominated participants
Please note, the application dossier shall consist of:
- an official nomination letter
- a completed questionnaire (see "Prospectus & Questionnaire for nominated participants" link above)
- a Language Proficiency Certificate, issued by a language school or cultural institution or the British Embassy
- a medical certificate
Extended deadline for applications: 10th August 2014.
FAO/IAEA Workshop on “Food Control Systems and the Role of the Different Stakeholders in the Food Supply Chain”
As part of the FAO/IAEA workshop on “Application of Quality Assurance and Control in Analytical Laboratories to Address Food Safety and Quality” (see above) the Food and Environmental Protection Programme is organizing a special one day workshop on Friday 14th of November which will focus on food control systems and the roles of the different stakeholders. This one day event will be held the day after the close of the IAEA International Symposium on “Food Safety and Quality: Applications of Nuclear and Related Techniques” in the IAEA Headquarters, Vienna, Austria.
Topics covered in this special one day workshop include:
1) Food control systems
2) The role of the analytical laboratory in the “farm to fork” approach
3) The role of national food safety agencies
4) A short overview of the Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed in the EU & USA: Is it possible to implement it in other regions?
5) The role of consumers associations in the farm to fork chain
6) Decision making based on quality data and risk assessment: who decides and who does?
7) Risk based management options and the importance of communication
8) Panel discussions
Food control officials, decision makers and others interested in participating only in the one day workshop on 14th November, “Food control systems and the role of the different stakeholders in the food supply chain”, may apply by forwarding the attached questionnaire by email to B.Maestroni@iaea.org.
The registration deadline for the one-day workshop is 15th September 2014.
The programme will be provided free of charge by FAO and IAEA. Please note - no additional funding is available to support participants and places are limited.